The College of Letters & Science (L&S) Language Course Substitution package (LCSP) is for degree-seeking candidates in the College of Letters & Science (L&S) only who are seeking to fulfill the L&S BA/BS language requirement and also have a documented disability in secondary or additional language acquisition. More specific information about the BA/BS Language Course Substitution Package (LCSP) for L&S undergraduate students can be found in the Guide under Language Requirement.
The deadlines to submit a completed application with all required documentation for Fall 2023 and Spring 2024 are:
- Fall 2023 Deadline: Friday, September 29, 2023 before 11:59 pm CT. Students can start submitting completed applications for a fall semester review on Wednesday, September 6, 2023.
- Spring 2024 Deadline: Friday, February 16, 2024 before 11:59 pm CT. Students can start submitting completed applications for spring 2021 on Tuesday, January 23, 2024.
Please note that the application process will consist of two (2) parts for Fall 2023 and Spring 2024:
- Fall 2023 Applications: Please send an email with the following information to L&S Undergraduate Academic Deans’ Services at LSDEANS@SAA.LS.WISC.EDU starting on Wednesday, September 6, 2023:
- Your full name
- Your UW-Madison ID number
- Your UW-Madison @wisc.edu email address
- Your request to apply for the Fall 2023 L&S Undergraduate Language Course Substitution Package (LCSP)
- Please make sure you submit your email request no later than 12:00 pm CDT on Monday, September 25, 2023, so you will still have sufficient time to complete the second part of this process. Instructions on how to complete part two of the application process will be sent to you via your campus email address once we receive your request.
- Upload your required documents to the Box folder by 11:59 pm on Friday, September 29, 2023. You will be sent an email with directions on how to upload your completed application and supporting documentation to the L&S BA/BS Language Course Substitution Package Box folder once we receive your request via the LSDEANS@SAA.LS.WISC.EDU e-mail address.
All students who submit a completed application by the deadline should hear back from the Disabilities Curricular Accommodations Committee (DCAC) regarding the status of their application approximately four weeks after the application deadline. All answers to questions in application must be typed and not handwritten.
A completed application must include all required items below:
- High school transcript and transcripts from other post-secondary institutions you may have attended prior to UW-Madison (you will need to contact original high school or other institution of higher learning for these records if you do not have copies)
- UW-Madison transcript
- Copy of your most recent DARS (Please go to your My UW and access the Student Center to request a DARS.)
- L&S Language Course Substitution Package Application (fillable PDF) – Required
- Completed application for Treating Professional (fillable PDF) – Required
- Copy of McBurney Faculty Notification Letter (or confirmation letter of accommodations received) if you have one
- Other relevant and current disability documentation assembled in consultation with McBurney Center staff. This additional information might include a psychological assessment, a hearing assessment, or other testing.
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed so make sure you submit all of the required documentation for consideration.
The Disabilities Curricular Accommodations Committee (DCAC) of the College of Letters & Science can approve a substitution to the non-English language requirement for students pursuing an undergraduate degree in Letters & Science only with certain disabilities that make a course substitution appropriate. Extensive and very specific documentation is required from students and disability specialists. The staff at McBurney Disability Resource Center will help you determine what documentation is necessary for the application, as well as assess whether additional testing is required.
Students are encouraged to file the application early (for freshmen, sophomores, and juniors, no later than the fourth week of their third semester in residence; for senior transfers, no later than the fourth week of their first semester in residence, excluding summer sessions). The Committee meets once during the fall semester and once during the spring semester. Students will be notified in writing within seven to ten business days after the DCAC meets regarding the status of their application. *The committee does not meet to review applications in the summer.*
Please note that students who apply in their senior year may delay graduation. Students should submit application materials only during the semester they wish their application to be considered.
Information and Instructions – Language Course Substitution Package – Fall 2023
L&S Language Course Substitution Package Application (Required)
Information and Application for Treating Professional (Required)