The College of Letters & Science (L&S) Dean’s List is established at the end of each fall and spring term after all grades have been reported and processed for all UW-Madison students. (There is no Dean’s List for the summer session.) Students who have been named to the Dean’s List can find their name on the Registrar’s Office website.
To be eligible for the L&S Dean’s List in a given term, students must complete a minimum of twelve (12) graded credits in that term (fall or spring term only) with a minimum GPA of:
- 3.600 for students who are classified as freshmen (fewer than 24 degree credits) and sophomores (at least 24 degree credits), or
- 3.850 for students who are classified as juniors (at least 54 degree credits) and seniors (at least 86 degree credits).
- The L&S Dean’s List is established at the end of the fall and spring terms after all grades have been reported and processed for all UW-Madison students.
An entry, “Dean’s List,” appears on the student’s grade report and on the transcript.
- Notation of being placed on the Dean’s List will not appear on students’ official records until approximately four (4) weeks after the end of the final-exam grading period for fall and spring terms.
- L&S undergraduate students who qualify for the Dean’s List in fall or spring will also receive a congratulatory email from the Dean approximately seven (7) weeks after the end of the final-exam grading period for fall and spring terms.
- Students who have requested to have their name and/or other personal information withheld due to FERPA reasons will not appear on the Dean’s List.
- Students who have P grades for their senior thesis (regardless of whether they have 12 other graded credits), as well as students with unresolved grades of NR, I, and Q are not eligible for the Dean’s List until the unresolved grades have been replaced with a permanent grade.
- Students are eligible to be placed on the Dean’s List once/if any unresolved grade issues have been addressed.
Please note that it is the student’s responsibility to contact L&S Undergraduate Academic Deans’ Services in 101 Ingraham Hall once any outstanding grade issues have been resolved and a student’s academic status has changed thereby placing them on the Dean’s List.
**The College of Letters & Science does not “round up” for the purpose of tabulating the GPA for the Dean’s List. For example, a freshman or sophomore with a fall or spring term GPA of 3.599 will not have their GPA round up to 3.600 for the purpose of tabulating the Dean’s List GPA.