According to faculty policy and in an effort to maintain both equity and consistency, final semester grades can be changed only because of “clerical error”. Students cannot, for example, petition to improve a course grade by offering to rewrite a paper, turn in additional work, or retake a final exam. The only time this is allowed is when such options:
- are available to all students in a given course, and
- are stated explicitly in the course syllabus.
For additional information, see grade change policy for L&S undergraduate students.
If a grade change is in order, the following items are important for the efficient and accurate processing of grade changes:
- Grade changes should be made electronically via Faculty Center. Information on how to submit an electronic grade change in Faculty Center can be found at entering and submitting final grades.
- If an electronic grade change via the Faculty Center is not possible because a student does not appear on the grade roster for a course or you are trying to change a grade from an incomplete (I) to and extended incomplete (EI), the department will need to submit a grade change via the eForm. (Please note that the eForm has replaced the Grade Change Request Form/ paper form.) The eForm will allow faculty and instructors to submit a non-roster grade change electronically. Step-by-step instructions and a direct link to the eForm can be found at non-roster grade change KnowledgeBase document. These eForm grade change requests are used only when the grade change cannot be done via the Faculty Center.
- Please note that eForm grade changes are only allowed for students who do not appear on the grade roster for a course. All other grade changes must be done electronically through the grade rosters on My UW Madison Faculty Center.
- Once an instructor submits the eForm, the grade change request will be routed directly to L&S Undergraduate Academic Deans’ Services in SIS for approval.