A RETROACTIVE withdrawal is one that is requested immediately AFTER the last day of instruction for any given term or semester. If the term you are hoping to withdraw from occurred prior to the current term, please complete the form below. It is expected that the retroactive withdrawal request be made within the term immediately following the term in question.
A retroactive withdrawal can be approved only in extremely unusual circumstances. In order to obtain a retroactive withdrawal after the last day of attendance, a student should have verifiable non-academic circumstances beyond their control which prevented them from both withdrawing from the term in a timely manner and from completing their class(es). Extenuating circumstances should have occurred and can be well documented.
Providing documentation is not a guarantee that a student’s request to retroactively withdraw will be granted. Earning a poor grade in a course (or courses), not being aware of deadlines, or not receiving feedback on examinations until after the deadline are a few examples that are not considered strong reasons for obtaining a withdrawal after the deadline. Students on F1 visas should consult with International Student Services to determine whether they are eligible to retroactively withdraw.
Please note that the summer term withdrawal deadlines are usually the end of the three-quarters of the session, extended to the following Friday. For example:
- For a student enrolled in a three-week summer term, the withdrawal deadline is the same as the drop deadline (the end of the 2nd week on Friday).
- For a student enrolled in a four-week summer term, the withdrawal deadline is the same as the drop deadline (the end of the 3rd week on Friday).
- For a student enrolled in a six-week summer term, the withdrawal deadline is the end of the 5th week on Friday.
- For a student enrolled in an eight-week summer term, the withdrawal deadline is the end of the 6th week on Friday.
See the Summer Key Deadlines and Guidelines for Summer Enrollment Actions for more specific details.)
A student MUST first read through the WITHDRAWING FROM UW-MADISON and Canceling Your Enrollment- Withdrawals information and THEN fill out the the information requested in the form below.
To request a retroactive withdrawal, you must BOTH
- submit the completed Retroactive Withdrawal Request Form
- schedule an appointment to meet with an academic dean. Please call L&S Undergraduate Academic Deans’ Services at 608-262-0617 or by sending an email to LSDEANS@SAA.LS.WISC.EDU
- L&S undergraduate students on F-1 and J-1 visas MUST obtain permission to retroactively withdraw.
Examples of documentation that should be provided are as follows:
Death of a family member or friend
- Obituary or death certificate
- Letter from counselor
- Documentation should include date and indicate relationship to the deceased
- Letter from therapist or counselor
Medical Issues (serious illness, hospitalization, mental health, change in health status)
- Letter from doctor with advised period of recovery
- Record of doctor visits
- Hospitalization records
- Copies of medical bills documenting illness/injury
- Letter from doctor, therapist, or counselor
This form must be submitted at least 24 hours in advance of your appointment with an academic dean. If we have not received the form at that point, we will ask that you reschedule your appointment.
Please make sure that you print a copy of the information – before you hit “SUBMIT” – to keep for your records.**